The steps you take at home to maintain oral health make a huge difference in the appearance and longevity of your smile. A few simple home remedies can keep your teeth bright and clean and your gums pink and healthy. Here are five recommended techniques you can use at home to stay in optimal oral health.
- Brush Twice a Day Using a Fluoride and Whitening Toothpaste. This strengthens tooth enamel and lifts dental stains, not to mention removing harmful bacteria before they have a chance to damage teeth. If you can, use portable or disposable brushes throughout the day for quick cleaning between meals.
- Floss your Teeth Daily, Either Using String or a Water Flosser. This removes bacteria from between teeth and under the gum line. Gum health is essential to the longevity of your teeth, and this step ensures they’ll stay pink and healthy for years to come.
- Whiten Teeth with Over-the-Counter Treatments or a Mixture of Baking Soda and Peroxide. There are strips, trays, and gels that offer effective whitening agents to brighten teeth safely. At-home mixtures of baking soda and peroxide are also effective. Always remember to mix the peroxide with either equal parts water or baking soda and place on teeth only for short intervals. Too much peroxide left on the teeth for more than 5 minutes damages tooth enamel and irritates the gum tissue. If your teeth need more aggressive whitening, consider a professional whitening at the dental office.
- Avoid Tobacco Products. Tobacco is a leading cause of tooth loss due to the damage it does to your gums. Nicotine deprives periodontal tissue of oxygen, giving it a gray color and causing gum recession. Nicotine products also severely stain teeth, leaving tar and particles on teeth that are not easily removed.
- Limit Consumption of Dark and Citrus Foods. Heavily pigmented foods and beverages - such as red wine, tea, coffee, berries, soy sauce, and pomegranates – leave stains on your tooth enamel. The high acidity in citrus fruits like lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits also damage enamel. Limit these foods and remember to rinse your mouth after their consumption.
Quality Dental Care You Need
Finally, don’t overlook the importance of visiting a dental professional for routine exams and cleanings. ABQ Gentle Dentistry provides outstanding preventive dental care to people living in Albuquerque and surrounding communities. Dr. Dan Lafferty and his friendly staff look forward to hearing from you soon.